Sunday, December 30, 2012

Goodbye 2012 and Last Minute Misadventures

Well ...this year has simply flown by... has been an amazing one and I usually find myself in a very reflective mood when this season comes around.. Managed to squeeze in one more dinner with a lot of people I didn't really know except of course my friend Barbara from www.thedropoutdiaries.com ... was a fab evening eating at a local Vietnamese restaurant... and as usual had loads of fun... eating fab food and meeting wonderful people. Even James Pham from http://flyicarusfly.com was there..


None of the people in the pic above are any of the people I have mentioned... but its the only pic I have of the evening... Note to self... take more pics at the right time... one of them is James Clarke...who was an interesting travel blogger I met... but forgot to ask for the name of his blog... Blast !! another note to self... ask the right questions at the right time



Christmas finally came.. amidst all the excitement... Barbara called me and invited me to a Christmas lunch and my girls and I were most excited about having Turkey with all the trimmings... turns out Barbara was so excited about the Christmas lunch idea she didn't take the time to read all the details.... it was an ad for Christmas... (that part she got right) with a special Christmas SANDWICH!!


Another note to self... be sure to ask the right questions at the right time of Barbara next time she invites me out....But we had a wonderful time nonetheless.. met a very nice American couple who were visiting from Thailand... and since their work is all online... now travel the world and live in different places... when they tire of a place...they simply pack up and move... I was totally in awe...That there are people who are so free in spirit and willing to follow their heart completely is truly amazing...Barbara is like that too... and I am grateful to have met her and connected with her and to call her a friend..


Our Christmas concert happened.... did I mention I joined the choir? and we managed to have two beautiful performance if I do say so myself...


And even managed to make some good friends from the experience... our next performance will be in May and the music director has something quite challenging for us this time... shall let you all know when I do 


After no turkey on Christmas day... I decided to treat my daughters to lunch and we decided to try out this place called Banana Leaf. Now there were mats on the table already but when it came time for the meal they supplied us all with banana leaves... so it stands to good reason that we were meant to eat on them.. I .. trying hard not to look out of place ... or that I didn't know what to do... calmly served myself onto the leaf much to the amusement of my daughters... only to find the waitress strolling in with plates ... she then proceeded to calmly lay plates for my girls and ignored my stuffing of self with food on my banana leaf. Needless to say... I tried to walk out of there with as much dignity and elegance as I humanly could...



And of course.. our traditional annual do that we have... or try to have every year... some of my friends ask me... how come you have a tree? and my answer is... I find it pretty... I like the lights and the colours... so I put one up... simple... and this time at the party... I decided to try out Tania Fatmi's idea of doing a Pavlova as a dessert... and I had just seen Nigella's last episode of Nigellissima... with the Cappaccino Pavlova... that I decided to be brave and try it...


Now it may not look like much here but it turned out FABULOUS and it was wolfed down in moments I assure you... when I was doing the baking... I was so encouraged by the great results that I went ahead and did another pavlova but this time a strawberry one with great results...


Now I have to say that pavlovas are ridiculously easy to make... look totally impressive and taste divine... totally worth the effort...which really isn't that much I have to say... if you are interested I will be happy to post the recipes up ... In the meantime... I wish you all the very best for 2013... may next year bring you better and more wonderful things your way... more discoveries... and friends.. and much joy, love and laughter... ...

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I didn't realise the Christmas-on-a-plate sandwich bummed you out so much. For me, Christmas lunch was all about the kids playing in the playground!

Here's to a fabulous 2013 to us both.

(And you James' blog is www.nomadicnotes.com.)

Ayeshah Alam said...

hahhahahah Not bummed out...just thought it was really funny!! and thanks for putting in James url for his blog! Happy New YEARxxoo

Anonymous said...

Waaaaoowww!
Finally a relavent picrure. :p
This pavlova is worth trying well you better post recipe.
Kinda perfection.
Shafaq

Ayeshah Alam said...

Thanks Shafaq... have to say the Pavlovas did get wolfed down pretty quickly... will post recipe soon :) thanks for posting your comment

To PRINT