Tuesday, November 26, 2013

For Pakistanis moving to Houston... don't worry! Its another Karachi!

There is such a huge Pakistani community here it is not even funny. And you will find all kinds of Pakistanis. Generally hard working people who have come here to make a better life for themselves. I don't really miss Pakistani food much as I can find just about anything here. If you have a hankering for Halwa Puri or samosas or even bun kebab... Bismillah Cafe in Hillcroft is where you want to head off to


I love my gannay ka rus (sugarcane juice) and we have an Agha's juice right here in Houston... Sugarland... They do kulfi's... mango shakes.. I did try their chiku shakes... but nah.... didn't quite cut it... their kulfis are amazing though :) Not to be linked with the Agha Juice in Karachi.. apparently no relation whatsoever. In Ramazan .. you can see many Pakistanis outside after Iftari hanging out.. its almost like walking down Boat Basin


A place I have been told so much about and really need to get down to is the Hong Kong Food market. If you have a hankering for anything to do with food from the far East... here is where you will find it. Some excellent Vietnamese restaurants are rumoured to be here by Bellaire which I plan to explore at some point. 


Tomorrow I take off for my road trip. Having Thanksgiving with a some friends in Dallas. I was supposed to leave today but it was freezing weather and raining and after watching tv for a few minutes (not FOX) and watching how many accidents were piling up on the highway due to the sleet.. I decided to hide away in my warm apartment and set off tomorrow as that is when the sun is threatening to show up again. Finally in my own apartment... a tiny little place..but enough for me at the moment... absolutely no furniture except for a mattress and a sofa bed incase I have friends who want to come over and crash... reminds me of my earlier single days when I was just starting out in Karachi at the age of 19. I remember my apartment ... didn't even have fans... and I was on the top floor. But what an adventure that was... I wouldn't change a thing as I learned the value of working hard for everything one got. 

Living in America is teaching me a lot too. Learning how to do a lot of stuff on my own that one would never do living in Pakistan or Vietnam. Like how to get my curtains up. Step 1. learn how to use a drill! Or have a friend who does. I thankfully have the latter... so for the moment won't need to learn how to put stuff up! 


Thank God for dishwashers!! That certainly does make life a lot easier. That is one thing the Americans have mastered... how to make life easier and more time efficient!! I am now toying with the idea of going to college and taking a course in something I enjoy doing. Either Baking or cooking for a restaurant. Maybe one day I will finally open up a cafe like I have been dreaming of doing for so long. One thing is for sure.. now that I have a little more time on my hands... I would like to take on another dream and see if I can make it happen. Having said that... still have not made my film which I wanted to get done by now... but then again... you never know! 

No comments:

To PRINT